THE STORY BEHIND INDIA’S FAVOURITE CHOCOLATE🍫 — CADBURY DAIRY MILK
Thinking of chocolates, our mind automatically imagines Dairy Milk, isn’t it? But do you all know when & how does this “DAIRY MILK” secure a place in our heart? Let’s explore the history of our favorite chocolate aka dessert..!!
The brand Cadbury was started 115 years ago i.e., in the year 1905 in the United Kingdom by Mr. George Cadbury. This bar contained a higher proportion of milk as compared to other chocolate bars. Apparently, one of his customer’s daughters suggested the name ‘Dairy Milk’ due to the level of milk in this new chocolate bar. From then on, the brand was named as Dairy Milk, as we all know today.
In India, the brand was launched on 19th July, 1948 . You would be shocked to know that in our country, there was no place for chocolates as we already had many delicious desserts & sweets for our sugar cravings. However, the Cadbury brand not only marketed their chocolates to us but also eventually captured about 70% of the total chocolate industry in India!
MARKETING & PROMOTIONS:
Cadbury brand is especially known for their exclusive & heart appealing marketing campaigns & often they have bagged the awards for best advertisement time & again. During the 80’s, its advertisement tagline ‘ Sometimes, Cadbury can say it better than words’ featured a happy family enjoying moments of togetherness. One such campaign also promoted the product by using the country’s love for cricket.
As it was known back then, chocolates were only thought to be something for children. But, in the year 1994, the advertisement campaign of “Asli Swad Zindagi Ka” (The real taste of life) convinced & appealed to adults also to consume these delicious chocolates. Logically, the sales increased dramatically.
Some of the well known punch lines such as “ Kuchh accha ho jaaye, kuchh meetha ho jaaye” which conveys about thy inherent generosity & ‘sharing is caring’ is so much valued in our culture. Another famous tagline of “Shubh Aarambh’’ i.e., before beginning anything auspicious, lets first sweeten our mouths is unforgettable. The brand also associated the most iconic celebrity of all times Mr. Amitabh Bachchan as their brand ambassador in 2000s to promote its sales in India. Bachchan symbolizes trust, authenticity & reliability & thereby appeals to the whole Indian market.
However, the sales of Dairy Milk started declining after a case of “worms in Dairy Milk chocolate” went viral. Even Big B, as he is called, was not spared from the wrath of Indian customers. But then, the actor became the voice of Dairy Milk & it again found its lost place back in the hearts of people by its aggressive marketing & promotions.
The best part of Cadbury Dairy Milk is that it develops & adds more & more products to itself time & again. Some of the best known of these includes:
- Dairy Milk Silk — The smooth silk like texture of milk & chocolate, which literally melts in the mouth as soon as one consumes it. It is the second most sought out product in the Dairy Milk series.
- Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut — Loaded with the goodness of raisins & almonds, this is the perfect snack for the younger generation.
- Dairy Milk Roasted Almonds — This chocolate bar blends the smooth texture of chocolate & ,milk with nuts & as the name suggests, roasted almonds.
- Dairy Milk Crackles — Having launched during the festivities of Diwali, eating this bar would literally feel like small crackles are bursting in our mouth!
- Dairy Milk Bubbly — Being given the appearance of chocolate bubbles, this product not only appeals to our taste buds but also to our vision.
- Dairy Milk Valentine’s Special — Almost every one of us will remember the dairy milk bar so designed so as a chocolate heart will pop out of our chocolate. It especially appealed to the teenagers.
- Cadbury Celebrations — This is a small packet of chocolates which includes many of cadbury’s chocolates like Gems, Five Star, Dairy Milk, etc promoted as the ideal gift on any occasion.
- Dairy Milk Shots — These are small balls of dairy milk chocolate, aggressively promoted as “Laddus” in Indian context.
- Dairy Milk Minis — Launched recently, these are mini dairy milk bars just enough to satiate one’s craving for chocolate.
- Dairy Milk Oreo — It is a chunky piece of a cookie-based snack with a creamy filling inside.
- Dairy Milk Crispello — It is a finger format chocolate with crispy centre, covered with a thin layer of Dairy Milk!
Now, aren’t you thinking to grab that delicious purple packet & have the divine taste of Dairy Milk? Well, I am!!